Congratulations to our Symphonic and Chamber Orchestra students! Our Symphony Orchestra has been selected to perform at the KMEA State Conference at the Kentucky International Convention Center on February 3rd, 2022! This is a huge achievement for the FDHS Orchestras and Bands. We look forward to this amazing opportunity!
New this year! We will be having two summer camps for all incoming and current FDHS Orchestra students.
Session #1: Ensemble Focus (“4th of July” Concert) June 28th-July 2nd
Session #2: Technical Skills Focus (Small ensembles) August 2nd-6th
E-mail Mrs. Payne for more information!
The FDHS Chamber Orchestra has been selected as the featured high school orchestra performing ensemble for the 2020-2021 Kentucky Music Educators Association “Virtual” Conference. Multiple high school orchestras across the state applied by submitting a recording, and our Chamber Orchestra was chosen as the best of all applicants submitted. This is the equivalent of winning a “state championship,” so congratulations to these students!
Hello FDHS Orchestra families,
FDHS will be distributing materials to students starting August 20th. You will receive your school instrument (if you need one) and your method book/music at this time. In order for me to have these items prepared for you, please complete the survey below. If you do not complete the survey by August 18th you may not receive an instrument and/or method book, and will be responsible for obtaining these items on your own for NTI work. If you have your own personal instrument, please still complete the survey, as there are questions about your method book as well.
If you are unsure what size instrument you need, I will be measuring instrument sizes at the CGWA entrance of the building on August 20th and August 21st from 8:30-10:30am and 1:30-3:30pm. If these times do not work for you, please contact me to arrange a meeting time. I can also tune and/or tape your instruments at this time. Once again, if you’re not available during these times, please contact me so we can arrange a time to tune/tape your instrument.
Please be aware that there is a $25 class fee for all students (new and returning) that covers the cost of your method book and music. There is an additional $25 rental fee for any student using a school-owned instrument. We are not collecting these fees at this time; they will be collected at a later date once we return to in person instruction. Please make arrangements to have these fees available when the time comes; families with financial concerns may contact me.
Students will need to have:
- An instrument in excellent playing condition
- Violins/Violas – required shoulder rest (school instruments come with these)
- Cellos/basses – rock stop recommended (school instruments come with these)
- Rosin (school instruments come with this)
- Method Book
- General Orchestra – Will be provided to you
- Symphonic Orchestra – New students will be provided a book; returning students will utilize the same book as last year.
- Chamber Orchestra – New students will be provided a book; returning students will utilize the same book as last year.
- Highly recommended for NTI work:
- A Music stand (can be purchased very inexpensively on-line or at a music store)
- A metronome (free App’s on your phone and Chromebooks)
- A Tuner (free App’s on your phone and Chromebooks)
If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know. Thank you!